Samsung Firmware Update For Samsung Android Mobile Phones
Applicable to Samsung Mobile Phones with Android 2.3.3 software version or later only
- Depending on the Samsung mobile phone you are updating, you may be prompted to login to both your Samsung and Google accounts first. If required, this will usually happen in the first
- This instruction is intended for Samsung mobile phones using Android 2.3.3 software
version or later only. To check the Android version of your mobile phone, select
Applications > Settings > About Phone. The Android version should be listed as "2.3.3" or
later (see below image).
- Ensure your mobile phone has at least 75% or greater battery charge. It is also recommended to have the mobile phone connected to a charger for the duration of the update.
- Ensure you are in a strong mobile coverage area or that you have access to a stable WiFi network connection.
- If using a mobile network to perform the FOTA update, please ensure that you have sufficient data allowance. Updates usually range between 1MB to 300MB in size - in the case of major updates, the update size can be larger.
- You will be unable to use your mobile phone for phone calls or use any other phone functionality during the FOTA update process.
- If you are using a Wi-Fi network connection to perform the FOTA upgrade, please follow the following steps to turn on Wi-Fi: Select Applications > Settings > Wireless and network -> Wi-Fi settings > Turn on Wi-Fi. Your mobile phone will perform a Wi-Fi network scan and when your network appears, select it to connect (a Wi-Fi network password may be required).
To register for a new Google account and/or to login to an existing Google account, go to
Applications > Settings > Accounts and sync > Add account > Google. Follow the on-screen
instructions to complete this step.
Applications > Settings > Accounts and sync > Add account > Samsung account. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete this step.
STEPS FOR FOTA UPDATE:
- On your mobile phone, select Applications > Settings > About phone > Software update. If at this point, you are prompted to "Register Google account first", please follow the instructions in the
- If using a mobile network to perform the FOTA update, deselect the "Wi-Fi only" option as per below:
- Select "Update", then select "OK" if you will be using a mobile network connection to perform the FOTA update. At this point, you will again have the option of selecting Wi-Fi for the FOTA update. NOTE: If no updates are currently available for your mobile phone, the following message will be displayed ("No update available"). Should you see this message, please do not proceed any further with this update guide.
- If a software update is available for your mobile phone, you will be prompted to accept the Samsung software update disclaimer. Please read the disclaimer and if you agree, select "I accept all the terms above" and click on "Confirm".
- You may be prompted one more time with a dialog box. Select "OK".
- The mobile phone will now commence downloading the software update:
- When the software update download is complete, a dialog box (example below) will prompt you to install the software.
- Select "Install". The mobile phone will now switch off, restart automatically and install the software. Please wait until the installation is complete. At the end of the installation process, the mobile phone will switch off automatically and restart one more time.
- When the mobile phone switches back on, it will display a software update success notification as follows:
- There may be further updates available for your mobile phone - please repeat steps 1 - 9 above until there are no further updates for your mobile phone. If no further updates are available for your mobile phone, the following message will be displayed -"No update available". Should you see this message, you can check for further updates at a later date.
Additional Information, section - clause (a) above before returning to this step.